be free, be happy, be peaceful

May all find the teacher within to guide oneself towards unconditional love and peace

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Selflessness - Being free from the ego (the idea of I) and egoism

The ego is the product of ignorance in the impure mind where there is an idea of 'I' exists as an individual being with certain qualities of names and forms, such like, personal worldly identity and status, personality and characteristic, thinking and belief, physical condition and appearance, gender and sexual orientation, physical and mental ability and achievement, interest and talent, knowledge and memory, aspiration and inspiration, actions and the result of actions, family and relatives, relationships and possessions, social network and interaction, and all that the mind thinks and believes and identifies as 'This is me or I'.

Selflessness is nothing to do with non-existence, as some people might 'interpret' it as non-existence. It's beyond existence and non-existence. When people 'misinterpret' selflessness as non-existence, they might perform actions that would hurt themselves and others by thinking and believing that there won't be any consequences of actions, and so, they think they can do whatever they like and want.

There is no 'I' to be existing or non-existing. There is no 'I' to be selfish or unselfish. There is no 'I' enjoy or suffer. There is no 'I' being happy or unhappy. There is no 'I' being good or bad. There is no 'I' as this or that. It's just the mind functioning and perceiving names and forms through the senses. But due to ignorance, there is an idea of 'I' arise in the mind, that ceaselessly generates attachment and identification towards the impermanent quality of names and forms, and it judges and compares, intends and expects, acts and reacts, likes and dislikes, agrees and disagrees, desires and doesn't desire, creates and destroys, enjoys and suffers, aspires and inspires, being proud or humble, being happy and unhappy, feeling meaningful and meaningless, and etc.

The mind that is being free from the ego or egoism is a selfless mind or liberated mind. The entire yoga practice is MAINLY about freeing the mind from the ego or egoism to realize or attain selflessness, which is the nature of life existence. There is no ego in each individual cell in the body, or in the different life supporting systems, organs and glands, or in the sense organs and the senses, or in the oxygen, nutrients, minerals, water and energy that allowing the body and the mind to be existing and functioning, but, this ego that exists as an idea in the mind thinking that 'I' am the most important and the highest above all. "I want my body to be like this and be able to do that. I want my mind to be like this and achieve that. I want my life to be like this and accomplish that, and so on." This ego is full of desires waiting to be fulfilled, and constantly pushing, forcing and hurting the body and the mind in order to gratify all its desires via the body and the mind. When its desires are not being gratified, or there's some obstacles hindering the process of gratifying all its desires, the ego gets offended, humiliated, insulted, dissatisfied, disappointed, angry, hurt, unhappy, depressed, or suffer. And out of these impurities, the ego performs actions or inactions that would hurt the body and the mind, and/or other beings or objects.

Yoga practice is not about being able to perform this or that asana, or pose, or position, or movement, to gain health, beauty and fitness benefits, but it's to train or purify the mind to eventually drop-off this idea of 'I', through annihilate egoism and the by-products of egoism of all sorts of impurities. When the mind is free from the idea of 'I' and 'mine-ness', there's only pure awareness being in the present, being aware of all the perceptions of names and forms through the senses, and all the impermanent changes, functions and activities of the body and the mind, being free from desires of craving and aversion, selfish intention, expectation, attachment and identification.

There's no 'I' being the performer of actions or the receiver of the fruit of actions. There's no 'I' being the thinker or believer. There's no 'I' being compassionate or uncompassionate. There's no 'I' being ignorant or wise. There's no 'I' being limited or unlimited. There's no 'I' being free or not free. There's no 'I' believe or disbelieve in God. There's no 'I' am sinful or sinless.

There's neither past nor the future. There's neither good nor evil. There's neither positive nor negative. There's neither happiness nor unhappiness. There's neither enjoyment nor suffering. There's neither vegetarian nor non-vegetarian. There's neither yogi nor non-yogi.

Be free.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reviews of Yoga Now Malaysia on Trip Advisor

Followers

About Yoga

Know thyself. Everything is impermanent and selfless. There is no 'I'. There is no 'I am selfless'/'I am not selfless'. There is no 'I am hurt'/'I need to be healed from hurt'. Non-blind believing, non-blind following, non-blind practicing and non-blind propagating, but be open-minded to inquire the truth of everything. Be free. Be peaceful. Be happy.

About Meng Foong

My photo
Inquire the truth of everything.

Link to Yoga Now Malaysia website

Link to Yoga Now Malaysia website
Yoga retreats and yoga workshops in Malaysia

Blog Archive

whos.amung.us

visitor maps